Sunday, January 30, 2011

Technology

Technology is growing faster than ever before and with it comes new capabilities in communication, education, and fun. People have the ability to stay in touch with one another no matter where they are on the globe. Students can utilize creative learning software and online libraries with seemingly endless amounts of information. Gaming enthusiasts can compete in online gaming communities using the web and games that are incredibly lifelike. The changes in technology have done some amazing things but I also think that technology has contributed to lifestyle changes that are not so favorable. From my observation the days of children playing outside until the sun goes down are nearly gone. Now children are immersed in video games and and minute by minute status updates to their social networking accounts. I believe that it is no coincidence that childhood obesity and diabetes rates are at all time highs. With the connectedness our current levels of technology bring us I also feel there is a degree of disconnectedness. Often times people attempt to solve problems or distribute information via email or web post. I am still a fan of a good old phone call, or better yet, a face to face meeting. Technology can be great but sometimes it is better to get out of your office chair and walk across campus or across the hall and truly interact with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment